Racist Sandwich, a podcast on food, race, gender, and class, is preparing for our second season and we are looking for a second producer!
Since launching in May 2016, we have recorded over 40 episodes, our listenership has grown immensely, and we have been featured in publications like Gannet, NBC Asian America, Portland Monthly, GOOD, BITCH Mag, Eater, New York Times, and even Breitbart (lol). We have also been nominated for awards from the IACP, SAVEUR, and the Taste Talks Awards.
For our second season, we want to improve our audio quality and to go weekly. To achieve this, we need a second producer. This is a paid, part time position.
We want to experiment with form in our second season. We have largely been an interview show during our first season and we want to try narrative storytelling, as well do more thematic episodes (such as our episode on the politics of the word “curry”).
If you have previous podcast/ radio experience and are committed to highlighting voices of color from the food world, this position might be for you. Women of color are highly encouraged to apply.
1) Book guests, prep questions, publicize episodes by writing web copy, edit raw audio and turn them into final episodes
2) Come up with show ideas, including conducting interviews with guests from time to time
3) Help us grow financially, including talking to sponsors, advertisers, podcast networks, etc
4) Grow our listenership, including more cross-episodes with other shows, etc.
5) Be able to complete projects in a timely manner and to communicate using tools like Slack
• 1-2 years of work experience producing a podcast and/or radio, with some experience creating narrative/thematic episodes
• Have an understanding of food media
• Patience with non-audio savvy hosts =)
• An interest in experimentation with the podcast form
• Excellent written/verbal communication skills
• Must have attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a larger team, and possess excellent organizational skills
We are flexible about payment and open to negotiating depending upon your experience.
Please send a resume, three audio clips you have produced, as well as two references, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on February 15, 2018.